Thursday, April 17, 2014

Road To Healthier

            I've been adjusting my eating habits this week.  As well as my activities, or lack there of.  I'm trying to create a more "health awareness lifestyle" for myself.  I've walked a couple of times this week.  I also bought a new bike and have ridden it several times already.  My friend introduced me to a couple of apps that are suppose to help you track your progress.  One is called c25k, which stands for couch to 5k.  It helps you prepare yourself from being a "couch potato" so to speak to being able to run a 5k. There are plenty of other websites and apps that have similar plans yet this is the one I tried. I've only used it once this week but so far I really like it.
            The other app is called endomondo.  You enter what activity you're doing, i.e. cycling or walking.  Once you start your activity you start the timer and it lets you know how far you went and how long it took you.  Some other great factors to this app are it will show you the route you took during your activity.  It keeps track of how much you need to rehydrate and how fast you were going.  I'm in love with this app and suggest everyone downloads it.  Even if you're not physically active a lot, it's fun to see your stats when you decide to go for a stroll.


Me and my new bike!

             Food wise I've been trying to stay away from carbs.  I have also been looking for healthier snacks to eat. To help me out with making better decisions I downloaded an app called fooducate.  This app lets you scan an item's barcode and it will give you an A to D rating on how good it is for you.  This app is especially useful when you go food shopping.  I love going to Trader Joe's, when looking for yummy healthy snacks.  I'm a vegetarian and can always find something to eat there.  My most recent snack obsession is their gluten free granola: cranberry maple nut.  With fooducate it is a B rating.  When I buy a bag, I measure out a serving size and put it in a ziploc.  So when I make my lunch I grab a ziploc and don't have to worry about overeating.  



            Another change to my intake is my beverages.  I've been drinking only water the past week. With the exception of a cup of coffee in the morning some days.  With just a few small changes, I feel healthier already.  Next week I'm going to find healthy drinks to start incorporating into my new "health awareness lifestyle".  My new motto, "healthy body, healthy mind, healthy life". 

Stay fit my friends,
Nicole Joliada

No comments:

Post a Comment